Monday, August 22, 2011

Potty Humor and Packing

“Don't forget to pack your courage for your journey to greatness.” ~ David Weinbaum
Chinese word:
厕所(cèsuǒ)
                    Bathroom
A week from today I will be on a plane navigating my way to China. Now is the time to pull out all my empty suitcases and stare at them…pondering what items in my cluttered apartment are the most crucial.
After long debates with myself these are the items that made my packing list:
Two weeks worth of clothes
Laptop and essentials
Power converter
Camera and essentials
Running essentials (shoes/iPod)
Basic medicine
WET WIPES
POCKET SIZED TOLIET PAPER
Travel toiletries
Deodorant (Thank you Dr. Seydel!)
HAND SANITIZER
Three pairs of shoes (casual, dressy, and athletic)
An empty backpack
(All the capitalized items are essential because many public restrooms do not provide toilet paper or soap. An empty backpack is necessary for any souvenirs that I buy while I am abroad.)
China is a fairly modern country that can accommodate many Americans comfortably, but there is one aspect that many traveling books forget to mention…
Behold the squat style toilet found ubiquitously in China
When I traveled to China for 10 days last summer, this toilet was my greatest culture shock. In order to use this toilet you must be able to:
SQUAT
BALANCE
AIM
these are the things that all uncoordinated people, like me, have a challenge doing.
So my tip to anyone like myself- before going to china you must:
 practice yoga to enhance your balancing skills, do squats to strengthen your legs, and practice aiming at cheerios.

Last Thoughts before Departing:
When traveling to any foreign country one must keep in mind that there are different standards and customs of living. To enjoy studying or living abroad you must keep an open mind and be able adapt to a new way of living. I also believe that the transition period from home to China is the hardest part of all. Your mind is left idle with anxious thoughts as you fly above. Next Monday (August 29th) look to the sky and think of me, as I soar overhead thinking of all the people I will miss and all the things that lay ahead.

1 comment:

  1. I miss the Chinese toilets. I want one in my house someday. They helped me lose ten pounds lol. Practice makes perfect lol cheerios. A whole new meaning to who pissed in your cheerios this morning lol.

    ReplyDelete