Friday, September 2, 2011

Departing


Chinese Word:  Ku
To Cry



Today I experienced what it feels like to leave your family and embark for a long stay in a foreign country. I can finally sympathize with the entire international student population at ASU or anyone who has ever decided to live in a foreign country away from their loved ones. I admire their bravery.
The understanding that I have acquired today is that there is no way to prepare yourself for all the emotions you will be hit with the day before and the day you leave.  Only time and experience can allow you to adapt to the transition from home to your new home in a foreign country.


Everyone’s study abroad experience will be different especially how they feel departing for their trip. Today I was thankful for my boyfriend. He took charge when I was crying and scared to go. He snapped me back into reality when he told me: “It is my job to see you off …to make sure you reach your destination on time… not to keep you here.” I really admire his encouragement and selflessness.  Everyone needs a friend like that to take you to the airport!

Leaving everyone was the hardest part, but after I had landed in L.A. for my 7 hour layover, I began to get excited. I love the Airport! You meet an array of people all setting out for different reason. I met 3 interesting people all waiting for the same flight!

Mark and Jay: Barely older than myself going to teach English in Wuhan, China for one year! Mark knew about 6 words in Chinese and had taught there before. This was Jay’s first time traveling to China and did not know how to speak Chinese! They both ubiquitously explained everything that they didn’t understand about China by saying “uh, well this is China” Even though Mark constantly referred to Wuhan as the armpit of china and told of previous horror stories, they both seemed excited and full of adventure.

Hilary: She was 26 born in Hong Kong and moved to Texas at the age of 11. She was going to get her PH.D in acupuncture at a school in Tianjin, China. 

I am so grateful to have met these 3 people; they really helped the time pass! I wish them good luck on their adventure and I hope to hear from them soon!

Last Thoughts:  No matter how hard today was, I would not trade it for anything. Today has revealed a new independence, courage, and patience within myself.  I will miss my family and friends, but the knowledge I gain will be priceless.
(Another tip from my wise boyfriend is: “It is always harder for the ones being left behind than the ones who are leaving.”)

A special thank you to all my friends and family for supporting me even though my dreams have taken me so far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment